As a portal administrator, you will configure the portal website to meet the requirements of your organization in regards to the following:
- Security settings
- Dedicated ArcGIS Server sites
- The services that are used for printing, geocoding, geometric calculations, and routing
- The use of comments in the website
- The locale of the website
You can also configure the portal website to fit the look and feel of your organization. For example, you can do the following:
- Add a logo and banner
- Feature your organization's content on the home page
- Feature specific content in the portal gallery
- Customize basemaps in Map Viewer
- Create custom web application templates
Web application templates allow members of your organization to create and publish map-based applications. You may want to extend the customization options of templates, for example, by adding your organization's logo or color scheme to a set of existing templates and using these templates in your web mapping template gallery. Likewise, your organization may already have a web application with functionality specific to your industry that you would like to make into a template. You can do this by creating a custom template.
In many cases, you will use site configuration groups to manage custom content, such as template and basemap galleries. For more information, see Site configuration groups.